Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Winter Minestrone Soup


A couple of weekends ago, we spent a lovely Saturday morning running errands and walking around our neighborhood. After our errands were complete, we decided to make an impromptu visit to Sur La Table-which lasted about an hour. It’s almost impossible to go into Sur La Table and walk away empty-handed. My boyfriend looked at new cutting boards while I roamed around the rest of the store {read: while I placed things I didn’t need into my basket}. I fell in love with these soup bowls while we were there, so, naturally, we came home and made soup that night! It was so simple and the house smelled like an Italian restaurant. Though we made the soup on the stove, I’m certain that a crock-pot would work, too. This soup will definitely become part of the cool-weather recipe repertoire. 

{Soften a mille-poix-carrots, celery, onion-in a couple tbsp of olive oil and butter. Season with salt and pepper}
{Once mille-poix is softened, add 1 box of chicken stock, 6 cups of water, ~3 cups of crushed tomatoes, 1 chopped zucchini, 2 tbsp chopped thyme}
{Bring to a simmer and add a box of pasta and 1 can of cannellini beans; we chose wheels, but any smaller pasta will work}
{Once pasta is al dente, add salt and pepper to taste}
{Serve with bread for dipping}

No comments:

Post a Comment