Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wine of the Week: 7 Deadly Zins

{Probably the coolest wine photo ever taken; I'd re-create it, but I don't want to clean up the mess}

Let’s be honest, I know you were all just counting the days until I posted about wine again. With the recent health kick, redesign updates and all the traveling, I’ve been a bit pre-occupied, but fear not; my love of wine is still ever-present! After reading Kit’s review of Grifone Sangiovese, I went to Trader Joe’s, bought a bottle and confirmed that it was delicious and completely worthy of adding to my list of inexpensive, go-to wines. Kit was also kind enough to introduce me to Alison, of SassyMomsintheCity.com, who invited me to participate in this fabulous series. I needed another excuse to drink wine like I need a hole in my head, but I was thrilled to have one (an excuse)!

While I was in college, my mom introduced me to Michael David Winery’s 7 Deadly Zins, a medium-bodied Zinfandel with hints of raspberry jam and spice. I feel like Zinfandel’s are typically too sweet for me, often tasting like liquid jelly, but this blend is absolutely delicious. Awarded 88 points by Robert Parker in late 2013, this wine is aging well and goes with just about anything. I’ve always been a fan of drinking what you like no matter what you are eating, but traditionally, Zinfandels shine with substantial pastas and red meats; we chose to make a chimmichurri marinated flank steak--recipe coming soon-- to pair with the bottle! The herbs and garlic in the chimmichurri paired SO well with the spices in the wine. I've been able to find this wine in several locations, but I typically pick it up at Mariano's for $16.00. 

Do you have any go-to wines? I'd love to hear! Dan and I are always up for trying something new, especially when it's wine-related. If you enjoyed this #WineoftheWeek post, check out Alison's pick here! I'm linking up with SassyMomsintheCity for #WineoftheWeek. 


No comments:

Post a Comment